- Processes more than 600 disability claims appeals per month for veterans trying to get their VA medical benefits.
- Gives emergency financial assistance to Legion families hit by hurricanes, floods,tornadoes and other disasters.
- Urges Congress to provide enough VA funding to take care of veterans’ medical needs –and provide it in advance.
- Awards college scholarships to children whose mothers or fathers have sacrificed their lives in the global war on terrorism.
- Volunteers about one million hours every year at about 160 VA medical facilities nationwide.
- Helps families of deployed troops through its Family Support Network and Operation Military Family Outreach.
- Through its Temporary Financial Assistance program, helps the children of veterans who are suffering hardships.
- Donates about 100,000 pints of blood annually to the American Red Cross.
- Lobbies Congress to upgrade and improve Post-9/11 GI Bill education benefits (the Legion wrote the original 1944 GI Bill that educated 8 million veterans).
- Through its Heroes To Hometowns program, works with communities to welcome back their returning veterans and help them make the transition to civilian life.
- Sponsors more than 5,000 American Legion Baseball teams, which are made up by more than 100,000 ballplayers.
- Raises funds to improve the quality of life for active-duty troops, with the Wounded Warrior Recognition Program and Operation Comfort Warriors.
- Offers community programs that encourage the intellectual and social growth of America’s children (Boys State, National Oratorical Competition, Boy Scouts).
Yeager-Benson Memorial American Legion Post 199 © 2013-2016