Must have served at least one day of active military duty during one of the dates below and honorably discharged or still serving honorably.
(April 6, 1917 -November 11, 1918) World War I
(December 7, 1941 – December 31, 1946) World War II
(June 25, 1950 – January 31, 1955) Korean War
(February 28, 1961 – May 7, 1975) Vietnam War
(August 24, 1982 – July 31,1984) Lebanon/Grenada
(December 20, 1989 – January 31, 1990) Operation Just Cause
(August 2, 1990 – Today*) Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm
*Because eligibility dates remain open, all members of the U.S. Armed Forces are eligible to join The American Legion at this time, until the date of the end of hostilities as determined by the government of the United States.
IMPORTANT: EVERYONE MUST SUBMIT A COPY OF DD 214 OR DISCHARGE.
Eligible veterans applying for first time membership must submit the following information to Post Membership Committee:
1. Click the link to open the American Legion Membership application (PDF).
2. Complete the application by filling in the fields. Then either print off the application and sign it, or save the completed application and send it as an email attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject of “Legion Membership Application”
3. STOP BY THE POST WITH COPY OF DD214 OR DISCHARGE
4. Membership Dues Payment. Make checks payable to American Legion Post 199
5. If the information is correct, membership will be approved and then a membership card will be mailed to you.
Veterans applying for transfers from your current Post to our Post must submit the following:
a. Completed Member Data Form.
b. COPY OF DD214 OR DISCHARGE
c. COPY OF MEMBERSHIP CARD
Membership dues payment, if current year dues are not paid. If current dues are paid, please pay dues for next year’s membership.
For any questions click Contact Us link at the top, or stop by the Post.