For God and Country

Auxiliary

auxiliary_display_big_lowreThe American Legion Ladies Auxiliary

History
Founded in 1919, The American Legion Auxiliary has nearly 1 million members from all walks of life. The Auxiliary administers hundreds of volunteer programs, gives tens of thousands of hours to its communities and to veterans, and raises millions of dollars to support its own programs, as well as other worthwhile charities familiar to Americans. It is all accomplished with volunteers.

While originally organized to assist The American Legion, the Auxiliary has achieved its own unique identity while working side-by-side with the veterans who belong to The American Legion. Like the Legion, the Auxiliary’s interests have broadened to encompass the entire community.

The American Legion Auxiliary is the world’s largest women’s patriotic service organization. Through its nearly 10,500 units located in every state and some foreign countries, the Auxiliary embodies the spirit of America that has prevailed through war and peace. Along with The American Legion, it solidly stands behind America and her ideals.

1919
The American Legion Auxiliary is first established to support The American Legion.

1921
The first National Convention convenes in Kansas City, MO. The Poppy of Flanders Field becomes the memorial flower of the Auxiliary.

1925
The Auxiliary moves its National Headquarters to the War Memorial Plaza in Indianapolis, IN.

1927
It is decided that only veteran-made poppies will be distributed by the Auxiliary.

1934
The Auxiliary establishes Junior membership.

1936
The American Legion Auxiliary’s Bulletin becomes the National News.

1937
The Girls State program is created.

1944
The Auxiliary’s program for the rehabilitation of disabled veterans is created.

1947
The first Girls Nation is held in Washington, DC.

1950
The first Golden Press/Golden Mike media awards are presented.

1953
The first Women’s Fourum on National Security convenes in Washington.

1970
The Auxiliary Emergency Fund is established.

1972
Cavalcade of Memories is established at National Headquarters.

1979
President Carter signs a bill extending Legion eligibility to Vietnam-era veterans.

1980
The first Awareness Assembly is held in Washington, DC, replacing The Women’s Forum.

1988
Heart of America Awards are initiated, replacing the Golden Press/Golden Mike Awards.

1990
Eligibility is extended to veterans of Grenada, Lebanon, and Panama.

1992
Eligibility is extended to veterans of the Persian Gulf hostilities.

1995
The 50th session of Girls Nation is celebrated.

2000
The American Legion Auxiliary celebrates it 80th year.

2001
The American Legion Auxiliary becomes a host sponsor of the Department of National Veterans Creative Arts Festival.

2002
In response to the terrorist attack on Sept. 11, 2001, Auxiliary members donated nearly $100,000 to various relief efforts.

2003
American Legion Auxiliary members respond to the wartime deployment of U.S. Troops overseas in “Operation Iraqi Freedom

2006
American Legion Auxiliary National President JoAnn Cronin raises over $100,000 for the Auxiliary’s co-hosted event: the National Veterans Creative Arts Festival.

2007
American Legion Auxiliary National President Jan Pulvermacher-Ryan begins an endowment fund for the National President’s Scholarship entitled “Educating Children of Warriors.” The goal is $1.2 million.

2008
The Auxiliary moves its National Headquarters to 8945 N. Meridian Street in Indianapolis.

2009
November 10, 2009 the American Legion Auxiliary celebrates its 90th anniversary of Service Not Self for Veterans, God and Country.

 

Yeager-Benson Memorial American Legion Post 199 © 2013-2016 Log in